Since 1996 I have been working with diatoms as bio-indicators (Curriculum Vitae). Following international and national work as a scientist (Publications) I have been freelancing using diatoms as bio-indicators since 2009 (Reports).
So far my samples were from rivers and lakes from Bulgaria, Canada, Denmark,
Germany, Norway, Sweden and Turkey (Curriculum Vitae, Publications). As a
freelancer I mainly infer the ecological status class of lakes and rivers according to
the German method for diatoms that implements the European Water Framework or I
conduct environmental impact assessments (Reports).
In 2011 I initiated and organised the first German intercalibration exercise for benthic
diatoms (Publications, Reports). With attending conferences (Conference
attendances) and participating in workshops and intercalibration exercises
( Workshop- and intercalibration exercise- participations) I keep up to date about
I am a member of the society ” Deutsche Gesellschaft für Limnologie e.V.” (DGL) and
of the International Society for Diatom Research (ISDR).
Conference attendances since 2009:
- 25th International Diatom Symposium 25–30 June 2018 in Berlin.
- 11th Central European Diatom (11th CED) meeting, 22 – 25 March 2017 in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Werner, P., S. Adler, M. Dreßler. Oral presentation: Erster Ringversuch benthische Diatomeen 2011/12 – Auswirkungen unterschiedlicher Diatomeen-Zählergebnisse auf die Wasserqualitätsanalyse. Conference: Fluss.Stadt.Land. Gewässer im Wandel. Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Limnologie und der deutschsprachigen Sektionen der SIL in Essen University Duisburg-Essen, Germany. 21.–25. September 2015.
- 9th Central European Diatom Meeting in Bremerhaven, Germany. 10.-12. März 2015.
- Werner, P., Dreßler, M. Oral presentation: Applied use of taxonomy: lessons learned from the first German intercalibration exercise for benthic diatoms. Conference: 8th Central European Diatom Meeting, in Zagreb, Croatia, 10.-13. April 2014.
- International Paleolimnology Symposium (IPS) in Glasgow, United Kingdom. 21.-24. August, 2012.
- 22nd International Diatom Symposium in Ghent, Belgium. 26.-31. August, 2012.
- 5th Central European Diatom Meeting in Stettin, Poland. 24.-27. März 2011.
- Werner, P, G. Döpke, J.W. Härtling. Oral presentation: Diatoms and heavy metal accumulations: comparison of changes in Pchelina reservoir, Bulgaria, during the past 30 years. Conference: 4th Central European Diatom Meeting (CE-DiatoM), 12.-14. März 2010.
- Hübener, T., S. Adler, Werner, P. Oral presentation: How far back in time do we have to go for lake-type specific reference conditions? – Paleolimnological examples from lowland lakes and their implications for the EU-WFD. Conference: “The joint 40th Meeting of the Ducht-Flemish Society of Diatomists (NVKD) and 3rd Central European Diatom Meeting (CE-DiatoM)”, Utrecht, The Netherlands. 26-29. März 2009.
Workshop- and intercalibration exercise – participations:
- Werner, P., S. Adler, M. Dreßler, A. Meybohm. Oral presentation „Erster Ringversuch benthische Diatomeen 2011/12“ at the DIN-Normenausschuss Wasserwesen (NAW) workgroup „Biologisch-ökologische Gewässeruntersuchung“ on 22.03.2017 in Berlin.
- „Workshop: Performance characteristics of diatom sampling and analysis“, Objective: to plan a CEN Technical Document summarising the performance characteristics of EN13946 (diatom sampling) and EN14407 (diatom analysis), London, 20-21. January 2016.
- Successful participation in the second German intercalibration exercise 2014 including the workshop in Braunschweig, Germany, 18./19.07.2015.
- Initiation, organisation and participation in the first Germany intercalibration exercise 2011 together with EQUAT Phytoplankton, Dr. Dreßler and Dr. Adler.
Participation and Co-Organisation of associated workshop in Rostock, Germany, 15.-17.06.2012.
- Successful participation in the Swedish intercalibration exercises (NorBAF) for north-European, benthic diatoms in 2009, 2011 and 2013.
- „1st European Workshop on Diatom Taxonomy“ in Luxembourg. 26-27.November 2009.
- „Spezialistenworkshop zur Bewertung von Fließgewässern mittels Phytoplankton“, Berlin, Germany. 10.-11.January 2006.
- Ontario-diatom workshop and Arctic-Antarctic diatom workshop in Toronto, Canada. June and September 1999.